The Creative Kids Zone in CenterFest 2017 will be packed with arts and play activities for our young CenterFest visitors!
Families can enjoy great hands-on art activities in the Kids Zone, staffed by Durham Arts Council staff and volunteers. The Creative Kids Zone is in the South Bank parking lot across from the Durham Arts Council building on Morris Street.
At CenterFest 2016, Activities Included:
• Paper Fish Weaving – Young artists learned to weave as they created their own colorful fish! FREE
• Paper Cup Shakers – Shake, rattle, and roll! Kids made their own shakers to dance and sing with the performing artists around CenterFest. FREE
• Printmaking – With the guidance from Durham’s own Supergraphic/Super G Print Lab artists, participants created their own silk screen design on paper. FREE
• Chalk Wall – Artists of all ages created a pop-up mural on the Kids Zone Chalk wall. FREE
• DAC Clay Studio Tent! Visitors enjoyed wheel throwing demonstrations by DAC instructors, and got to try throwing a pot themselves under instructor guidance. Advance sign-ups were available for hands-on session at the DAC Clay Studio Tent. Ceramics created by DAC instructors were available for purchase. A great opportunity to learn more about the DAC Clay Studio!
More fun. . .
• Facepainting – Paint Savvy was back to transform faces into animals, superheroes and more! PRICE VARIES – see paintsavvy.com (fee-based)
• Kids play activities such as inflatable Moon Bounce and Train Rides for a small fee
The Children’s Stage featured music and cultural programming on Saturday and Sunday.
The Diaper Bank provided a changing and feeding station.
The Young People’s Performing Company performed on Saturday and Sunday in the WRAL Theatre on the lower level of the Durham Arts Council. This event was free with a CenterFest sticker!